Friday, October 12, 2007

Smithy Progessing Along

The walls are slowly progressing along, as is the forge itself. All of the stones are set in a mortar mix. For the small foundation walls I used a lime-portland-sand mix of 1:1:3. Near the forge I used a high-temp version of 2:1:4.

For the arch of the forge I used some pavers I cut in half. I was going to dress some stones but I could only find half as many as I needed in a size close to what I
wanted.

As you can probably also see from the pictures I am not building 8" tall walls. After going 4" tall most of the way around I am quite satisfied that I have done enough stone masonry on this project - winter is coming and it's time to move on to another phase in the construction. I decided that the 4" tall walls will be fine for protecting the cordwood from splatter from the ground.

No comments: